- Can I be the first to say that 2017 was actually pretty good? – Harvey Jones 19 Dec, 2017 - 2017 was yet another great year for stock markets, not that most investors seem to have noticed. The mood has been downbeat, as it has been throughout the post-financial crisis recovery, which I... Read More
- Would you recommend bitcoin to a client? – Harvey Jones 21 Nov, 2017 - It is the most exciting investment of the decade far, but few IFAs would recommend it. It has thrashed every rival investment and turned early investors into billionaires, but advisers turn their... Read More
- There’s no need to feel blue about Black Monday- Harvey Jones 16 Oct, 2017 - It happens every September and October, when analysts and investors start talking nervously about a stock market crash. This is understandable, given that historically September is the worst month for stock market... Read More
- How ETFs could kill the stock market and crush global capitalism – Harvey Jones 12 Sep, 2017 - The investment world has fallen in love with exchange traded funds (ETFs), including a growing number of IFAs. In April, the total invested in ETFs topped $4 trillion and a further $40... Read More
- Tech bubble: this time it’s different – Harvey Jones 27 Jul, 2017 - Few IFAs who were advising clients during the dot.com boom will forget the extremes of euphoria and despair it generated. Many will have been besieged by investors begging them to put their... Read More
- Stock markets are flying, so why all the gloom? – Harvey Jones 27 Jun, 2017 - It seems that nobody knows how to enjoy themselves anymore. The stock market bull run has now lasted more than eight years but are investors celebrating? Absolutely not. Most are anxiously waiting... Read More
- Keep calm and carry on investing – Harvey Jones 09 Jun, 2017 - Markets have just been handed the worst possible electoral outcome, the one they dreaded most, a hung parliament. At time of writing Prime Minister Theresa May can possibly hang onto power, but... Read More
- The robots are coming for you. Time to fight back – Harvey Jones 01 Jun, 2017 - A year ago I warned that the robots are coming to get IFAs, and now they have brought out their big guns. US fund giant Vanguard, whose $4.2 trillion of assets under... Read More
- Are we looking at another lost decade? – Harvey Jones 17 May, 2017 - It’s now almost a decade since the credit crunch first loomed on the horizon, an anniversary few will wish to commemorate. The traumatic events of those turbulent days have cast a shadow... Read More
- The buy-to-let affair is over but shares continue to shine – Harvey Jones 25 Apr, 2017 - The love affair is over. The dream has died. The British infatuation with all things bricks and mortar has finally come to an end. New figures from landlord association ARLA Propertymark show... Read More
- Does anybody actually understand Isas anymore? – Harvey Jones 18 Apr, 2017 - I pity the poor IFA who has to get his head around the increasingly complex panoply of tax-free Isa choices. The simple choice of whether to go for cash or stocks and... Read More
- Dear IFAs, Don’t forget the boutiques… 13 Mar, 2017 - In light of the DFM Alliance announcement, Creechurch Capital’s Senior Analyst, Iain Ramsay considers why IFAs shouldn’t forget about the boutiques… I was interested to read that Brewin Dolphin, Brooks Macdonald, Investec Wealth... Read More
- Could this be the best Isa season ever? – Harvey Jones 27 Feb, 2017 - Remember last year’s Isa season? Unfortunately, it was memorable for all the wrong reasons. It went down in history as the “worst Isa season ever”, thanks to a double whammy of rock... Read More
- Clients are the real losers in the war on advisor fees – Harvey Jones 09 Feb, 2017 - The war on investment industry fees has been raging for years, with IFAs in the thick of the action. It has been a gruelling campaign, with plenty of unintended casualties and pyrrhic... Read More
- Will it be a happy new year for China? – Harvey Jones 01 Feb, 2017 - The Chinese growth story has thrilled and amazed the world so no wonder everybody is wondering when it will finally come to an end. The self-proclaimed “peaceful rise” of the world’s second-largest... Read More
- Don’t get burned by the “Icarus trade” – Harvey Jones 25 Jan, 2017 - It is a strange time to be an investment adviser with the FTSE 100 smashing past one all-time high after another. I am writing this as the benchmark index climbs over the... Read More
- 2017: the only certainty is uncertainty – Harvey Jones 03 Jan, 2017 - If 2016 was a year of shocks and surprises, the only certainty about 2017 is that we can expect plenty more of the same. A bumpy ride seems inevitable with a reality... Read More
- Shock news: 2016 was a good year for markets – Harvey Jones 14 Dec, 2016 - 2016 has been a year of shocks but perhaps the biggest surprise is that it has turned out to be relatively positive for the stock market. At time of writing the FTSE... Read More
- Finance Bill 2017: Changes to Overseas Pensions – The QROPS Bureau 08 Dec, 2016 - Finance Bill 2017 – Changes to Overseas Pensions In the recent Autumn Statement 2016, the Chancellor indicated that further clarification to the QROPS regime would be issued in the Finance Bill, which was... Read More
- Bond vigilantes are being run out of town – Harvey Jones 28 Nov, 2016 - Einstein once joked that compound interest was the most powerful force in the universe, but he was wrong, that honour belonged to the bond market. This was famously recognised by Bill Clinton’s... Read More
Got an opinion?
We'd love you to write for us,
so let us know.
Want to recieve regular updates from us, sign up to our newsletter to be in the know.